Sunday, March 10, 2019

11

Getting some inspiration:
My thoughts after watching another film I enjoy. 
03_07_19

So, in my last entry, I detailed my experience watching Nightcrawler, and how it pertains to my project. Honestly, I really enjoyed it. I have never watched a movie looking to implement something from the film into a work of my own. Well, until earlier today.

This time, I re-watched my all-time favorite movie: Good Will Hunting. I hadn’t watched the movie in a couple of years, but unlike Nightcrawler, I was honestly starting to forget why I liked it so much. A refresher was in line.

I realized very quickly what enticed me so much about the film: it’s writing. Every relationship, every character is executed to perfection. They feel so honest and intimate, following a character arch that makes perfect sense to the viewer. From Will’s group of Southie friends to the group of MIT professors, the dialogue in this film is written exceptionally well. The focus is always placed on creating real, sincere characters and allowing them to interact in a fluid way. Nothing in the film feels contrived, it is entirely natural. Every character’s motivations and goals are clear for the viewer.

If I’ve taken away anything from the film, it’s to invest serious time into writing real, believable characters, dialogue, and plotlines. Obviously, I won’t have time to flesh them out, but having a clear idea of my characters’ profiles would really help to sell an honest story.

Thanks for reading.

-f.s

No comments:

Post a Comment

15

All Over: My film opening. 04_19_19 The culmination of this blog is here. Without further ado, "Catharsis." CATHA...