Sunday, March 3, 2019

05

The Beauty of Realism:
My Admiration for “Pseudo-Fiction”
03_01_19



Just so we’re on the same page, the definition of “pseudo-fiction” that I have just made up is not generally accepted. It’s just a term that I made up to describe a style of fiction that I enjoy. There may already be a name for it that I am unaware of, and pseudo-fiction may already be a term for something else. Just within the confines of this blog, just between you and me, this is our adopted definition for pseudo-fiction: a story that isn’t necessarily true, but it definitely is not false. Allow me to explain.

Generally, we identify a fictional work as one that is imagined. It is a story, a tale of events that have not actually transpired. We have not and possibly will never be able to experience the events of most fictional stories. That’s not to say that imaginative fiction isn’t wonderful and enjoyable; almost all of my favorite books are entirely fictional, but when I read them, I exit my world and enter theirs. The truth and false of my world are no longer relevant when reading a fictional novel. As long as it’s written well, a fictional novel will immerse you to the point of believing the truth of the words, no matter how outrageous the story they are telling.

Pseudo-fiction tells a story that exists within the same world as the reader. A story that hasn’t necessarily transpired, but there’s every possibility that it could. You cannot deem it as simply an imagined story, for the weight and emotion behind every event is real, even if the events aren’t. Readers attach themselves to characters more than fiction would normally entail. Characters live a life that is real, overcoming real problems and experiencing real development. A story about “normal” life can end up being mundane, but when given direction and purpose, it captures an audience that seeks authenticity.

A recent and successful example of pseudo-fiction in film is Bo Burnham’s “Eighth Grade.” Burnham has made his name as a stand-up comedian, but his first attempt at writing and directing a movie was incredibly well-received and critically acclaimed. The story is painfully real, following an eighth-grade student through every awkward and cringey moment of her last year in junior-high. As expected, the audience loved how honest the film was. It isn’t often that movie-goers enjoy a story free from typical Hollywood tropes, so Burnham’s writing and Elsie Fisher’s performance really struck a chord with viewers. After nearly 250 critic reviews, it maintains a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I’ve written an entry in my blog about it, so naturally, I want to attempt pseudo-fiction in my own film. We’ll talk more about it next entry.

Thanks for reading.

-f.s

No comments:

Post a Comment

15

All Over: My film opening. 04_19_19 The culmination of this blog is here. Without further ado, "Catharsis." CATHA...